Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Monstrosity Issue #1

It had been quite some time since I had read any comics....we're talking the span of years here.  And this is such a shame to me because other than movies, I don't believe that there is another form of entertainment that combine both the visual and literal art forms together without really any limitations.


Even injured and missing a fusion canon wouldn't convince me to mess with Megs.
Up until recently, I had been pretty focused with my comics sticking mainly to the likes of Wolverine,



Punisher and some Batmans.  I probably would have widened my reading but money constraints when I was younger didn't permit it.  Needless to say, I wasn't collecting comics as an investment, much like my TF purchases, but rather out of the enjoyment of the stories. Mind you, I can honestly say that almost all of my comics have only been read once and then been stored safely away.

It's hard to say where the value of comics are currently as unlike other collectable paper produced products, we now have the ability to down digital copies of any issue we want.  When I recently got back into reading comics, I started to buy them the old way and eventually realized that it wasn't really convienent for me to spend time going to a physical store, or to find storage for stacks of issues when I was already having trouble with my TF boxes and space.  It just became more logical to purchase downloadable copies that were readily available wherever I was and couldn't be damaged.

For those of you that haven't given the new IDW Transformers comics a chance, I cannot stress how much you are missing out on some fantastic Transformer entertainment, especially with the limited materials we have out there....insert horrible Michael Bay movies and bad cartoons (excluding Transformers Prime / Beast Hunters).  As classic as any of the old Transformer comics are, for me anyway, to go back and read some of those issues is as  painful as watching a Bay flick.

Great artwork

As we start with this new "Monstrosity" mini-series by IDW we see a barely identifiable Megatron (at least by his G1 standards....forget that G2 bullshit tank) portrayed on the cover standing defiantly.

"MEGATRON’S DESCENT! In the early days of the war on CYBERTRON, OPTIMUS PRIME puts everything on the line to unify the planet—but not everyone agrees that this new Prime should be in charge! Meanwhile, the fallen DECEPTION leader, MEGATRON, begins a journey that will change everything. Plus—what is the terrible secret of the DINOBOTS?"

WHAT !?  Optimus just became a Prime!? Who knocked 'ol Megs down as leader of the Decepticons? What are the Dinobots hiding from everyone?  Hooked me line and sinker! 

Monstrocity is written by Chris Metzen and Flint Dille, both of whom also wrote Autocracy, and is being drawn by Livio Ramondelli, who did the art for Autocracy.

Now if this doesn't make you want to read the next issue right away I don't know what will.

I would have to say that my only complaints with this entire series is that :

  •  Each issue is really short (approx 12-14 pages give or take)...you can take that as a good thing since it was so enjoyable to read that I went through it so fast.  I just didn't want it to end and have to wait another month. 
  • The Monstrosity run is only 12 issues (this too can be taken as a good thing; instead of dragging it out, it forces them to write/draw only compelling pages.
All I can say is that for under $5 you can get yourself an issue, either at your local comic shop or online,  and give at least the first issue a read.  It's nice to see your favourite characters in a new light and at different timeline points than we are normally accustomed to seeing them in. 

It's refreshing, it's entertaining....and it's not Michael Bay.

- angry canadian decepticon -



No comments:

Post a Comment